Weddings and other Ceremonies
Lakehead Unitarian Fellowship offers the services of three Lay Chaplains who are available to officiate at weddings, memorials, child dedications and other rites of passage. They are licensed by the province of Ontario, supported by their congregation and trained by the Canadian Unitarian Council.
Lay Chaplains help to create and deliver ceremonies that reflect diversity of beliefs, spiritual depth, and personal values. In keeping with the Unitarian Universalist principles, Lay Chaplains work with couples and families, finding language and ritual to honour life’s most meaningful passages.
The fees in 2022 for Lay Chaplaincy services for non-members of LUF are as follows:
Wedding – $250 plus $50 for rehearsal: Memorials – $250: Child Dedication/Naming – $125: Other “milestone ceremonies” can be negotiated with the individual lay chaplain.
Mileage: 50c per kilometre or the cost of gas may be charged for out-of-town or long-distance trips. This is at the discretion of the individual Lay Chaplain.
Ceremonies for members are free, but a gratuity is appreciated. In the event that a gratuity is not given, Lay Chaplains may be paid $100 from the Lay Chaplaincy Fund – this policy was passed in December 2017.
You can learn more about our Lay Chaplains here.
Our Lay Chaplains can be reached through the LUF Office at 807-344-5980 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Canadian Unitarian Council Principles
We, the member congregations of the Canadian Unitarian Council, covenant to affirm and promote:
- the inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- justice, equity, and compassion in human relations;
- acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- a free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- the right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- the goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
- respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
- individual and communal action that accountably dismantles racism and systemic barriers to full inclusion in ourselves and our institutions.